From a USDA news release
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has announced public listening sessions and is soliciting public comments on possible changes to prevented planting crop insurance coverage. USDA’s Risk Management Agency (RMA) will hold in-person and virtual listening sessions from June through August, and written comments will be accepted until September 1.
Prevented planting coverage provides producers valuable protection in the event they are unable to plant an insured crop due to an insured cause of loss. When adverse weather prevents planting, a prevented planting payment is made to compensate for the producer’s pre-planting costs generally incurred in preparation for planting the crop.
In California, the in-person sessions are in Tulelake and Davis:
Tuesday, June 27, 2023
10 am to Noon
Modoc County Extension Office, Agriculture Conference Room
2816 Havlina Road, Tulelake, CA 96134
Wednesday, June 28, 2023
1 pm to 3 pm
USDA California State Office
430 G Street, Davis, CA 95616
The national virtual session (MS Teams) will be held June 8, from 11 am to 1 pm (PDT)
Meeting link: Click here to join the meeting
Meeting ID: 217 891 067 621
For audio only (call in): 314-530-5560
Passcode: 746 772 69#
The request for information on prevented planting requests input on topics to include:
- Harvest Price Option – Feedback on whether to allow the prevented planting payment calculations to be based on the higher of projected price or harvest price under the revenue protection plan of insurance.
- “1 in 4” Rule – Input on the challenges or experiences since the rule (to be eligible for a prevented planting coverage acreage must have been planted to a crop, insured, and harvested in at least 1 out of the previous 4 crop years) was implemented nationwide.
- 10 percent additional coverage option – Input on if RMA should reinstate the option to buy-up prevented planting coverage by 10 percent.
- Contract price – Whether prevented planting costs are higher for contracted crops and how prevented planting payments should be calculated for contract crops.
- General – Willingness to pay additional premium for expanded prevented planting benefits, recommendations on other prevented planting limitations, etc.
The request for information, which includes details for submitting feedback, is available in this Federal Register notice.